- This event has passed.
Webinar Training – Understanding Gambling Myths and Misconceptions: What You Need to Know!
June 14, 2017 EDT @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm$15
Understanding Gambling Myths and Misconceptions: What You Need to Know!
Date: June 14, 2017
Time: 12:00 – 1:30 pm
Clock Hours: Participants will receive 1.5 CEUs post-training
Presenter: Philip Kopel, MS
- How do slot machines work?
- What are the similarities and differences between Lottery scratch tickets and Slot machines?
- What are payout structures? When is a win not a win? How do losses and near misses create cognitive distortion?
- How do pari-mutuel and set payout structures differ?
- In what ways do “professional gamblers” differ in their play behavior from “problem gamblers”?
- What is the difference between skill games and luck games?
- How do table games work?
- What is the difference between playing against the house versus playing against other players?
Why do gamblers gamble? For recreational gamblers it can be for fun and entertainment with a minimal expectation of winning. For “At-Risk” gamblers their perspective may shift into believing that their odds of winning are higher than actual reality, which can alter their play behavior, play frequency, amount spent and games played. For Problem Gamblers, in addition to characteristics of At-Risk gamblers, physical manifestations affecting brain function and levels of Dopamine can further affect their gambling behavior and lead to an addiction.
In order to treat a problem gambler, it is essential for clinicians to be familiar with casino and lottery products and have insight as to how gambling activities work. This webinar is intended to provide clinicians with a basic understanding of casino and lottery games, payout structures and player myths and misconceptions that may lead to gambling problems.
To Register, click here.
For more information, please contact Jackie Dias at email@example.com or call 617-426-4554.
Sponsored by the MA Council on Compulsive Gambling