- This event has passed.
Advance Training on Gambling Disorders for Clinicians
June 23, 2017 EDT @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm$50
Date: June 23, 2017
Time: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Location: Vantis Life Insurance Co., 200 Day Hill Rd., Windsor, CT 06095
Clock Hours: 6.0
Presenter: Timothy W. Fong MD
Dr. Fong is a Professor of Psychiatry at the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA. Dr. Fong completed his undergraduate and medical school at Northwestern University in Chicago. He then came to UCLA and finished his residency in adult general psychiatry in 2002 and was the first accredited addiction psychiatry fellow at the UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute (2002-2004). Currently, he is the co-director of the UCLA Gambling Studies Program. The purpose of this program is to examine the underlying causes and clinical characteristics of gambling disorder to develop effective, evidence-based treatment strategies. He is the Director of the UCLA Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship, a one-year program designed to provide a leading edge clinical and research training experience. Dr. Fong’s research interests include gambling disorder, behavioral addictions, medication-assisted treatment and improving quality of treatment for addictive disorders.
At the end of this training, participants will be able to:
- Become familiar with the predictors of treatment success and treatment failure
- Know how cannabis is consumed and the medical and psychological impacts on behavior
- Increase awareness and understanding of how gambling and cannabis use relate to one another
- Describe best practices in the treatment of cannabis use disorder and gambling disorder.
- Apply biopsychosocial formulation and treatment planning approach to three different gambling disorder cases
- Increase experience and knowledge in developing a systematic clinical approach to complex gambling disorder cases.
- Appreciate a variety of treatment outcome possibilities that can occur in complex cases of gambling disorder with co-occurring disorders.
- Increase knowledge level about gambling trends and gambling disorder treatment and research
- Identify and fill-in knowledge gaps about gambling behaviors and gambling industry trends and patterns
- Raise awareness about co-occurring disorders and commonly used substances that are currently emerging in gambling treatment programs.
This training will focus on several areas in the gambling disorder field. Dr. Fong will discuss a state-funded treatment program for individuals with gambling disorder and affected individuals and the current landscape of how cannabis and gambling behavior interact. This training will also cover three advanced, clinical cases that will provide clinicians with an opportunity to work through biopsychosocial formulations and treatment planning and will increase audience knowledge about current trends in gambling and gambling disorder and recent research developments and initiatives.